Photo

Error 52 has been defeated (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:50 AM

I was reading around on Ken Williams' site (www.sierragamers.com) and someone mentioned a program called DOSBox. It's a DOS emulator and a CPU emulator. It attempts to recreate the environment that DOS games were made for. CPUKiller, Turbo, and moslo never worked for me...ever - and I slowed my computer down to 1% function (16mhz according to cpukiller) and stared at it while it struggled only to fail. I had actually given up and came across this by accident. Against all odds, however, it worked perfectly. I slid right down the slope by the pillar, marched straight into the swamp, went at the chernovies in close combat (which was at a normal speed), opened the tomb and exited east, just to make sure I did everything they tell you not to do to get around the error.

Now somewhat ironically my computer almost isn't fast enough to run DOSBox so I'm curious to see if this thing works even on the meanest of machines. I've got no affiliation with DOSBox but I just had to share with everyone just in case it's capable of ending your frustration like it did mine. It also fixed the timing errors in QG1 (the weapon master never knew what hit him) and Space Quest 1.

For the purpose of comparison I have a 1ghz athlon running windows XP and I'm using the DOS version of QG4 from the anthology CD.

Oh, and I got it from here:

DOSBox

Hope this helps!

#2 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:40 PM

Thanks David! thumbs.gif

Downloading and will attempt to try on Pentium 4 - 2.4 Ghz - 1GB RAM - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro!

Wish me luck! angel.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

First test was succesful!! thumbs.gif

Using the DOS VERSION! biggrin.gif

The Hero made it down the sliding path at the Squid Stone with Full Detail and Normal Speed with NO ERRORS!!! bounce.gif bounce.gif

Now for the critical part........

#4 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:47 PM

HEY!!!!! I JUST ENTERED THE CHERNOVY SCREEN AND CLICKED ON THE FIRST CHERNOVY AND THE CLOSE UP BATTLE SCREEN STARTED WITH NO ERRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif

#5 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:49 PM

OK THE CHERNOVIES ARE HISTORY!!!! NOW TO GET THE SCROLL......

#6 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

ALRIGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID IT! I JUST MANAGED TO GO THROUGH THE CHERNOVY PART AND BACK TO THE FOREST WITHOUT ANY ERRORS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif

And I did it with my Pentium 4 2.4Ghz on Windows XP PRO beerchug.gif beerchug.gif thumbs.gif

This is amazing you guys!!! I'm gonna start playing the whole series in DOSBOX on my Pentium 4 and check the normal thing for a change!! biggrin.gif

Did I mention that I played the DOS VERSION and the sound was PERFECT?? biggrin.gif

Oh and the Detail was turned all the way up during the whole thing and the speed was set to normal biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#7 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:25 PM

Oh WOW!! I just tried to run Qfg3 and not only it didn't give me the usual soundcard error at the start (saying it won't recognize it) but the sound is absolutely PERFECT!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#8 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:22 PM

Isn't it the greatest feeling to finally pop those chernovies close up like they deserve? Now should we temp fate and see if a wizard can use the reversal/juggling lights combo that used to crash in the same spot? I've got to go take off at the moment but if no one's tried it when I get back I'll give it a shot.

#9 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

Excellent! biggrin.gif

I'm going to add the program to the downloads section and also I'm going to add instructions on how to use it at the help section for everyone to solve their problems thumbs.gif

#10 David

David

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:10 PM

I found a little tweak for people like myself who experience DOSBox running a little slow. If you hit ctrl+F12 you can increase the number of cpu cycles that DOSBox uses and speed your game up. When I sped mine up too much my sound started to skip in and out but I still didn't get any error 52s, so if your computer runs it unimaginably slow this could at least be used to get past the swamp while just dealing with the bad sound. Then you could just save your game and start back up with VDMsound.

#11 Archon-TiMe

Archon-TiMe

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:09 AM

Hmmm, interesting I'll have to try this out ... I have a pretty beastly computer computer to say the least, so I'll have to try it out when I get the chance.
user posted image

#12 TheHipCat

TheHipCat

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:25 AM

Wow, talk about timing! Just yesterday (Jan 21) I was thinking about tracking down some sort of program that would do something like this for QfG4. If I had searched yesterday, I probably would have given up right away. But I didn't get around to it.

Anyway, I seem to have the game working (QG4 Anthology), but the message screens go by really fast, and without audio. No John Rys-Davies and split second message boxes. Any ideas?

#13 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:04 PM

Actually I happened to experience that part myself when I tried to minimized my full screen... and the audio didn't work after I restored it back up! (Must be a bug to work with...)

The best way to do it is this:

Start DosBox. Then hold down Alt +Enter to change to full screen mode. Then start the game and that's it biggrin.gif

By the way you will find that all the Dos Qfg games work great with this program!

David, thanks for the tip with the cycle part I was hoping there was a solution cause the games do run kind of slow (even though that's the whole point to it!)

I'll give it a try smile.gif

#14 TheHipCat

TheHipCat

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

Hmm, still no narrator. And unless I mount the cdrom drive, I don't even get the wolves howling on the title screen. If memory serves, don't you need to play with the CD in the drive, since the audio files are still stored there?

#15 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:43 PM

Yup you need to mount both your local installation drive and the cd-rom drive in that case for the audio to work! smile.gif

For example if your cdrom drive is D: type: mount D D:\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users