• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts
  • Interests:Many. Brochure emailed upon request and payment of 2000 golds.

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

The word is...

DON'T.

Just don't.

Don't ask for links. Don't suggest links. Don't suggest search terms. Don't say, "Go look for them." Don't.

Don't mention abandonware for QfG.

What you PM each other about is up to you, and what you email to each other is up to you. But if you post anything of that nature here, you'll indicate you haven't bothered reading the rules and you place us in an equivocal situation. No matter how much I or Elsa sympathise with your dilemma if you can't get the games, have trouble with the games, only have the Windows version of the games, have a missing CD, etc., we will not and cannot recommend downloading the game illegally. We must keep this forum legal.

For that reason, if you email me or Elsa about it, the same thing applies. We may be able to help out with missing files or CDs or the manual IF - and I mean this - IF you can prove to us with a digital photo image of the box or jewel case or receipt that you own the game legitimately.

We'll even help you by playing your Windows-based QfG4 game past the Chernovy if you absolutely can't find another way. But as admins, we cannot encourage illegal downloading.

Elsa and I say this as the admins of this site. I expect all moderators to follow the same guidelines. What you do personally is up to you... but on this forum, we have to keep the standard showing.

I hope you all understand our position on this.

#2 Jonesy T. Hero

Jonesy T. Hero

Bob gave me my hat back!

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:08 AM

Haha PL she caught you
Gaily bedight, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of El Dorado.
But he grew old, this knight so bold, and o'er his heart a shadow,
Fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like El Dorado.
And as his strength failed him at length, he met a pilgrim shadow.
'Shadow,' said he,' Where can it be, this land of El Dorado?'
'Over the mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,' the shade replied,' if you seek for El Dorado.'

#3 D-Boy the Fighter

D-Boy the Fighter

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Sierra (of course), Sonic, Pokemon, anime...

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:17 AM

When it comes to QfG, I don't NEED Abandonware... just need patches for when bugs come up. As it is, I already have all five games. And beaten all five.

My name is DBoyWheeler and I am a Paladin.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

All Hail Shadow!
Heroes rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

#4 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:44 AM

<smile> Yes, all of the patches are freely available, and thank God for them.

Also let us be thankful for DosBox and for NewRisingSun's patches.

It's just the basic game that is a problem when it comes to the idea of downloading. It's tempting for people to suggest places from which it can be downloaded, but it is not endorsed by Quest for More Glory.

#5 Paladinlover

Paladinlover

Armsmaster of Glorianna!

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  • Interests:Firearms/military hardware.
    Paranormal stuff ocassionaly.
    Politics.
    Lots of other stuff.

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hey, I'm just trying to help! smile.gif

Till next time stay cool cool.gif

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane, played by Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

"Blaming a gun for an action of a criminal is like blaming a car for some accident made by an idiotic driver." Paladinlover.

#6 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion / Jennifer Hale Fanboy / Brony

• Members
  • 4,362 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Girls and Glory. *shrugs*

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

Okay, Here's the dealio smile.gif

If anybody has QfG4 on CD, and they're having a bit of trouble installing it, playing it, getting it to work properly, hearing voices and the like, with or without DOSbox, let me know.

I have the Floppy Version (No voices, and no major errors that I've encountered - plus works like a charm in DOSbox) I'm willing to give out via email - but only - and ONLY if you meet the requirements.

1. Send me a picture of you holding either the box from the CD version of QFG4, or one of the set boxes (Collection or Anthology) OR a picture of the you holding the original disc. (have an OR there, because my original disc of the collection broke from overuse, and reluctantly tossed it out - but I still have the box from it...) - although I'd prefer a picture of you holding BOTH the box and CD. Send all e-mails to qfg4 (at) legendsofglory (dot) com and I will get to you within the next week at the latest. smile.gif

2. A Picture of you holding the 4th issue of Hero Magazine.

3. The more 'proof' you are holding in your picture, the better smile.gif

And even though I will supply you with the game if you meet these requirements - I will not - repeat WILL NOT - supply you with the "Cranium Elemental Codes". This is another point to reinforce that you own the original.

Also - a bit of a forewarning - You will need NINE 3 1/4" floppies to copy the files onto, as I have them where you install them from the disks.

---

With you suppling me your picture, I feel I am not breaking any laws, because I am just giving you a 'working copy' of a game you've already purchased.

Edited by Orion, 08 August 2005 - 08:17 PM.

OrionPaladinOfPassion.gif

sigfacs.png

------------------------

FanFictions and Works in Progress:

sigsd.png

sigahvh.png

sigoutlaw.png

sigheroism.png

sigimmortality.png

Social Media: fb.pngtw.pngstm.pnghttp://www.legendsofglory.com/gp.pnghttp://www.legendsof...lory.com/gw.png

#7 Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider

Hero of Five Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:25 AM

Wow, that is a very generous and fair offer Orion.

You get a whole truck load of cookies for that.

*Backs truck up to Orion's front door*

#8 EDB

EDB

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

This is something I still dont understand or approve of. Technically it's not illeagle. The game is no long on the market. It's not longer being sold. If it is then yeah, you have a point. I dont even know waht Abandonware is. But to tell people "go find the game if you want it" doesnt help our community. It doesnt help anyone at all. It doesnt help the coles it doesnt help the company that made and produced the games. No one is profiting from sales of QfG1-4. Probably not even 5. If they are then my bad. But last time I checked, QfG1-4 could only be found in Auction sites. Not general electronic stores nor even online stores.

Bottom line is, if no one is profiting from the sale of the game then it's pointless to tell people "go buy it". They arent supporting anyone by doing that. But if it is being sold in the market and on shelves then yes. Valid point. They should support the QfG cause.

But I think it would be better to get more people into the game than to shun them away by saying "too bad so sad. Go find it and buy it". I would rather tell that person "here you go. You cant find it anymore so enjoy yourself and try to support the online petition campaign to get more QfG! Tell your friends about the game! Thanks for your support".

And Im still disgusted by the Cranium Codes thing Orion. Very disgusted. If anyone needs Cranium Codes I have no problem sharing. This game isnt being sold anymore, we arent harming anyone by helping out a fellow gamer who lost their manual or simply purchased a game that didnt come with a manual.

Pushing potential supporters for more games away is wrong.

(before you go crazy on me thinking IM a pirate. I own ALL games on CD and own the first two original games on Diskette. In fact I still have the Heros Quest Disks. So dont even go there.)

Edited by EDB, 16 August 2005 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade

[insert clever title here]

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Typical nerdy stuff - been a Sierra fan since the DOS days (1987 or thereabouts). Been singing (choir and solo) for the last 8 years. Also been writing (fan-fics, parodies, poetry, and serious stuff for a long, looooong time...) *G*

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:18 PM

As far as I'm aware, the game is still being sold by Sierra on www.sierra.com ... am I wrong?
My Inner Hero - Wizard!

IPB Image

There are many types of magic, but all require a sharp mind and a cool head. There is no puzzle I can't solve, no problem I can't think my way out of. When you feel confused or uncertain, you can always rely on me to untangle the knots and put everything back in order for you.

#10 Almirena

Almirena

Swordy Lady

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

The LEGAL POSITION is this: if you give someone a copy, you are breaking the law. If you give someone a manual without checking that they own a legal copy, you are breaking the law. Vivendi doesn't have to produce the games in order to have legal copyright to them. They do have that legal copyright, and they do prosecute those who abuse it. If you have doubts about that, check the Vivendi website - it is made extremely clear.

We can't compromise on this on this forum. End of discussion. I am not going to eavesdrop on your private telephone calls, rummage through your PMs and emails - what you do privately is your business. But there is no way at all on this site that we can AFFORD to be seen to support illegal copies of the game. This entire site could summarily be removed. Do you want to risk that? Neither Elsa nor I do.

Whether we agree with Vivendi's stance is an entirely different matter. But we certainly cannot afford to publicly flout the law. I am not posting here my personal opinion about obtaining the game - I'm posting as an admin on this forum. I hope you appreciate the difference.

Because of the legal implications, anyone posting links here to online sites where QfG can be downloaded or the QfG4 codes can be found will have their post edited or removed, and will possibly have their account suspended or banned. This isn't new information - check the rules that have been in place here since this forum began.

The legal position is not AT ALL impacted by the fact that Vivendi, who've bought the rights to the name Sierra (along with the rights to all the games produced by Sierra), don't sell the game anymore, and haven't for some years. The copyright still belongs to them.

It's not abandonware. It's not shareware. For the protection of this site, we cannot endorse illegal copies and that is that.

Rath... no, the game isn't being sold by Vivendi. That is why it's so frustrating for game players who want the game. I really do sympathise, but I cannot, as an admin here, help...

#11 tatsu

tatsu

FACS Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:RPGs, Music, Fighting Games

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

i already have them all, just wondering, how about speech pack?
"You have your honor back, let me have mine..."

-Matsumoto, the Last Samurai-

#12 Ragehammer

Ragehammer

Stable Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (tatsu @ Sep 20 2007, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could be wrong, but are you talking about something like resource.aud from the game files? If so thats still copywrite and would still be illegal to distribute. But I'm sure the same goes for any of the games files in part or in whole. I'm not an expert or anything, but I BELIEVE that's the way it is.

Edited by Ragehammer, 20 September 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#13 Collector

Collector

Hero of Two Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (tatsu @ Sep 20 2007, 05:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ripping out the speech files was a common warez practice to reduce zip file size. This is what is generally available on abandonware sites. As mentioned by Ragehammer, they are copyrighted intellectual property, too.
If you have the games without these files, it would appear that you downloaded ripped abandonware versions of the games. If you have legitimate floppy versions, the CD resource files will do you no good.

Edited by Collector, 21 September 2007 - 03:02 AM.

My name is Collector and I am a Paladin.

Paladin Shield

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#14 Arlo

Arlo

FACS Graduate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:History, science, science fiction, Star Trek, politics.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:25 AM

It seems like the general concensus here is "It sucks that we're not allowed to help you get copies of these games. We should be able to, but we can't afford to start breaking the law on this site." If this is the case, I'm in agreement.

However, I do think that, with all due respect, Almirena is taking this whole legality thing a little too seriously. Even if Vivendi found out about someone offering to share Abandonware on this board, the worst that would happen is that they would ask Almirena or Elsa to remove the post. They're not going to shut the site down, they're not going to sue you for all you have. Vivendi is big business. Big business doesn't, under any circumstances, spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in court over matters as trivial as these, from which they will receive no real profit whatsoever. And they're not going to sue you for $1,000,000 that they know you don't have. Quite frankly, big business is smart enough not to waste its time on this.

Also, even if Vivendi did decide to go after people for this, they would go after the people who posted messages offering to share Abandonware, not after the owners and moderators of this board.

I do understand why Almirena and Elsa can't officially support sharing Abandonware on this site, but I don't think it deserves account suspension either. In fact, I think it should be pretty much ignored until Vivendi asks them to remove the message--at which point they remove it, and everything's forgotten.

#15 iamtheman

iamtheman

Seasoned Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Everything... except rap\hip-hop music. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

Now hold on there. You cannot assume what Vivendi may or may not do. In my opinion, Almirena and Elsa are absolutely taking the right and LEGAL precautions here. They're obviously very mindful of anything that would compromise the longevity of this site - and it CAN be shut down by Vivendi if they wanted to, provided this site breached copyright regulations or promoted abandonware in any way shape or form.

There is a loop hole, however, that I believe is determined by the amount of interest a site may generate. Take, for example, the fan-made King's Quest game, The Silver Lining. Now, production of this game was promptly halted after having received a "cease and desist" email from Vivendi because the "King's Quest" in the title was a breach of copyright. Only after a rigorous and frantic petition from fans, Vivendi reconsidered - providing they (the developers) dropped the "King's Quest" in the title. The thing is; a lot of excitement and interest had been generated for this project since it was heavily promoted in magazines and even on MTV (or so I've heard), which in turn no doubt caught the interest of Vivendi.

Yes, I know there are loads of fan games out there, and most of these haven't run into difficulty from the rights holders, but the point I'm trying to make is that something that stands out will be found out - and not in a good way if they can be nabbed for illegal activity.

True, this site could "fly under the radar" but I digress; this site is booming and further interest may eventually catch the attention of Vivendi.

Ultimately, it all boils down to; why bother risking it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users