33 replies to this topic

#1 cityoftarna

cityoftarna

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

I guess introductions are in order first of all, I'm CityOfTarna, and I joined this forum as it seemed to be the biggest QFG forum on the net still active.

I've been a fan of the series since I was playing Hero's Quest badly on my friends 286 (or was it a 386, can't quite remember... been so long)... badly because neither of us spoke english at this point... or at least not very good english.. I have no idea how we got as far as we did... although one of the disks had an error on it, so I never got to see brauggi and most of the eastern forrest until much much later... but I digress.

I don't know how many of the people on this forum have any interests in adventure games outside of QFG (like the most magnificent new iteration of the monkey island franchise which i shall avoid mentioning the name of, less my first post on this forum ends up as some sort of promotional tool for the old enemy), but there is a guy over at the lucasforums named laserschwert that is putting out high res posters of monkey island using (from what I can tell) either 1200 or 600 dpi scans of the front of game boxes: http://www.lucasforu...ad.php?t=195492

Aaaaanyway, I'm sure most of you are following my drift when I remind you that QFG also has game boxes... with some pretty decent art on the front... boxes which can be scanned wink.gif

to make a short story even shorter: I'm scanning in some qfg/hq boxes, and I am gonna make myself some posters to adorn my othervise sparely populated livingroom walls. anyone else be interested? I could probably also make some high resolution wallpapers if anyone wants any... the images I'm working with are roughly 8000*10,000 pixels so there should be enough to go around.

I'm making the final posters in the same format that Laserscwert uses, that is: 60*80cm @ 300dpi. If you want to use a different size then just resize and cut as needed smile.gif If anyone has any comments or requests then please come forward biggrin.gif
(And yes, I do feel ever so slightly guilty about stealing Laserscwerts 'format' for distributing his work tongue.gif)

2009.10.08: Added a Hero's Quest Poster and Some Wallpapers.

Hero's Quest Poster - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

Hero's Quest Wallpaper 1600*1200

Hero's Quest Wallpaper 1900*1200

2009.10.10: Another Hero's Quest poster, 2 QFG2 posters, and a QFG2 Wallpaper.

Hero's Quest Poster Simple - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Poster - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Poster Simple - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Wallpaper 1920*1200
(Some of you may notice a few things amiss with this wallpaper: I had to make one of the towers shorter, move the moon and move another tower to the right to frame everything given the 1.6:1 aspect ratio of widescreen monitors.)

2009.11.02: 2 QFG4 posters, as well as a somewhat rough QFG4 wallpaper.

QFG4 Poster Simple - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG4 Poster Simplest - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG4 Wallpaper 1920*1200, Rough version I made while working on the poster

2009.11.13: a QFG1vga wallpaper while we wait for me to finish the poster for it (will take a bit longer than usual).
OOPS, REACHED MAXIMUM IMAGE PER POST LIMIT, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE THE THUMBNAIL.
QFG1vga Wallpaper 1920*1200

Edited by cityoftarna, 13 November 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#2 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Hello and welcome to QFMG smile.gif

Scanning the Qfg game boxes sounds like a wonderful idea to me - and especially at high resolution I'm sure they will look fantastic! thumbs.gif

Thank you for posting these cutouts and I'm definitely interested in having them also if you don't mind! smile.gif

My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin. A.K.A. Mrs McLaren.

What kind of Hero Are You?

www.theschoolforheroes.com

#3 cityoftarna

cityoftarna

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Just to keep everyone abreast: I've just bought a copy of QFG4 off of ebay, so I should have a poster of that one at some point as well smile.gif

For the affeciandos out there: It's the cd one, the one with the white rather than purple background biggrin.gif

Still need to find a big box version of QFG3 though, although if anyone has a copy of qfg3 and a scanner I would be more than willing to do the photoshop bit (images scanned at 1200dpi show up with a million (actually more like several million) tiny dots of ink known as half-tone).

#4 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

That sounds seriously awesome! I'm definitely interested.

QUOTE (cityoftarna @ Oct 7 2009, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how many of the people on this forum have any interests in adventure games outside of QFG (like the most magnificent new iteration of the monkey island franchise which i shall avoid mentioning the name of, less my first post on this forum ends up as some sort of promotional tool for the old enemy),

Wait, whoa! Enemy? Arrrrrrr you serious?

Everybody here loves adventure games. . . If there's an enemy, it's what killed Sierra.

Edited by Bob Dunegarm, 07 October 2009 - 09:45 PM.

QUOTE (myself)
I forge my sword of victory from the silver linings of my failures.

I'm Arc Collins, and I'm a Paladin. I care because I comprehend.

#5 Orion

Orion

Paladin of Passion. Katrina and Aziza Fanboy.

• Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (Bob Dunegarm @ Oct 7 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds seriously awesome! I'm definitely interested.

QUOTE (cityoftarna @ Oct 7 2009, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how many of the people on this forum have any interests in adventure games outside of QFG (like the most magnificent new iteration of the monkey island franchise which i shall avoid mentioning the name of, less my first post on this forum ends up as some sort of promotional tool for the old enemy),

Wait, whoa! Enemy? Arrrrrrr you serious?

Everybody here loves adventure games. . . If there's an enemy, it's what killed Sierra.

Beat me to it there, Bruder!

We're fans of most all adventure games (and I do hope I speak for everyone when I say that). Monkey Island included! smile.gif I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter to come out of ToMI!

As for these scans, I'm for it! I'd love to see high quality copies biggrin.gif The only box I have left of any of my QFG games is my Hero's Quest box. It's my preciousss.......

#6 Matthias

Matthias

Champion

• Members
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:I'm just your average guy. I love sports, hanging out with my friends and video games. I guess if you want to know, just ask.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forums! smile.gif

As you can tell by my avatar and title, I'm a fan of the Monkey Island™ games as well.

On the topic of the Quest for Glory boxes, I do have the original QG3 box as well as the boxes for QG1 EGA (not the HQ one unfortunately), QG2, QG4 CD Version, the QG Anthology, the QG Collection, and QG5. I do have a scanner, but I don't know how well the scans would turn out for you, but if you'd like me to try, I'll give it a go.
Shepard: I'm offering to be your friend. You don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have a way of dying...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
My name is Matthias and I am a Warrior.

#7 cityoftarna

cityoftarna

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi Matthias smile.gif

I have already scanned and started working on Hero's Quest and QFG2, and I should have QFG4 with the white background in a few days (hopefully).

I've also managed to obtain 2 versions of QFG5 that were released in Germany (and possibly switzerland) as 'pair' games... That is, 2 games in one box.

one of them is QFG5 and KQ8 and the other one is QFG5 and Return to Krondor.

The last two are more curiosities than anything else (although curiosities with interesting graphics), more to satisfy my insane collectors urge than anything else smile.gif

As for your offer, I am having some truoble getting a qfg3 big box (without paying 50ish pounds for it... aprox 75USD), so if you would be willing to attempt to scan the front of your QFG3 bigbox then I would appreciate it smile.gif

it does of course depend on what your scanner supports, but if you would be able to scan it at 1200 DPI as a JPEG and then save it as a fairly high quality not 100%, but about 90%... or just 'high' (as oposed to 'very high) depending on what settings your scanning software has for saving jpeg smile.gif

You will see loads of tiny colorful dots, don't worry about that, I know what to do with them, if you could provide me with a raw scan I will do the rest smile.gif

And Bob, I was refering to the age old rivalry back when Sierra and LucasArts were both competing for the hearts of adventure gamers everywhere; although you played games from both companies obviously (one of my favorites was (apart from MI) Indina Jones: FOA), there was a tendency for people to 'support' their fav team wink.gif

I wish the old 'feud' was still ongoing, each of them trying to upstage the other with better and better adventure games... who knows, if Lucasarts sells enough copies of the enhanced version of TSOMI they may 'enhance' LeChucks Revenge as well (wherever it needs it or not is another question)... at which point maybe someone in a boardroom at activision will remember that they have a back catalogue of sierra adventure games as well wink.gif

Edit: I have uploaded the poster I made from Hero's Quest, comments and Critisism welcome.

Edited by cityoftarna, 09 October 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#8 cityoftarna

cityoftarna

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Ok, added in a smaller version of the HQ poster, and added 2 finished QFG2 posters as well as a qfg2 wallpaper.

The wallpaper itself must unfortunately be considered non-canon, as I had to move some things around in photoshop to make them fit into the aspect ratio that I was using (1920*1200). If you want to know what has changed then it's the tall tower which is now not so tall, the moon has been brought down, and the building/tower on the right of the hero's head used to be a little further to the left (I moved it right to get a bigger horisontal picture, and thereby also gaining some vertical area to fit in the hero's pointing arm and the top of the tall (now not quite so tall) tower biggrin.gif nice picture none-the-less smile.gif

Right now I'm working on QFG4, which is probably going to take some time; the box I bought off of ebay was a bit tattered (as described by the seller), which is not a biggie, it just means it will take me a bit longer in photoshop before it's finished. Attached below is a reduced version of the 8000*10000 scan.

#9 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Thank you very much! smile.gif I'm downloading the posters now thumbs.gif

#10 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

I love my new wallpaper.
QUOTE (myself)

#11 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

I was never a fan of these download sites. Even though they do help a lot, somehow all that coding and timing.... rolleyes.gif

Would it be ok if I uploaded these files on QFMG for easier download access? I can just upload to the ftp site and link to them here smile.gif

#12 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

I can also mirror them from my webspace, Elsa. Just let me get it set up.

Tomorrow. <Yawn>
QUOTE (myself)

#13 cityoftarna

cityoftarna

Hero Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Please, by all means, upload them to wherever you like smile.gif

If (like you said) you could post the new links here, I will update my posts with the new links on a sort of ad-hoc basis accordingly smile.gif
Easiest would probably be for me to continue to use megaupload when I create a new poster, and for you just to post in the thread when you have had the time to move it to the qfmg server.

I should hopefully have some more time to work on the qfg4 poster laster this week, or failing that, this weekend.

You may have also noticed a 'XX' number at the end of the filename of each poster. That's just in case I get so much better at this by the end of making all these posters that I might want to go back and redo some of the first ones... hence the ability for sequental numbering... and multiple versions co-existing. I'm nothing if not anal biggrin.gif

Any refiltering of the halftone pattern, etc won't take much time, as I have every step of the process saved as separate photoshop layers. However, that does mean that each poster takes up about 3-4 gig just to save all the steps so I can go back and fix things if necessary smile.gif

#14 Arcc

Arcc

AM I AN ADMIN YET

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hero's Quest Poster - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

Hero's Quest Wallpaper 1600*1200

Hero's Quest Wallpaper 1900*1200

Hero's Quest Poster Simple - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Poster - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Poster Simple - 60*80cm @ 300dpi

QFG2 Wallpaper 1920*1200

QUOTE (myself)

#15 Elsa Von Spielburg

Elsa Von Spielburg

Founder/Webmaster

• Admin
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

*hugs Bob*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users