I just discovered something really strange

General discussion forum. Discuss anything you like, as well as introduce yourself.
This forum is NOT for testing your signatures.
Zachski
Hero Wannabe

I just discovered something really strange

Post by Zachski » Fri May 19, 2017 1:49 am

https://archive.org/details/agi_quest-f ... -adventure

I was searching through the Internet Archive's Software Library to look for some old stuff (already found a game I had long forgotten the name of, thankfully. Said game being Funball).... and found this... odd thing.

You may recognize the music that plays.

And as far as I know, this is literally it. I'm pretty sure this was a prank of some sort. there's only one screen and the only commands that do anything are save, restore, restart, quit, and die.

And all "die" does is make you flash colors and render you unable to do anything.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;)
How to use a Fluidsynth soundfont in DOSBox for Windows

Wulf
Hero Wannabe

Re: I just discovered something really strange

Post by Wulf » Thu May 25, 2017 2:52 am

Additional commands:

help: This brings up the AGI Help screen.
look: Displays the message "Your are outside the town of Sodimina."
inventory: Displays your current belongings. Also accessible with the Tab key or typing shortened 'inv'.

But with a total possible score of 0 out of 0, this is either an unfinished game or that person you meet in the beginning has cursed the Hero from the start to never be able to have an adventure. Such a clever game for teaching the lesson "Never talk to strangers".

;)
Wulf
~ The Adventurer ~
Gamer Guildhall - Chief Guildmaster
gamerguildhall.com

Zachski
Hero Wannabe

Post by Zachski » Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Oh, somehow I missed the inventory.

Also, typing "wear armor" changes your sprite, as does "remove armor".

What a curious little... project. Why would someone make an old style game of this sort in 1999, just to do this and nothing else?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;)
How to use a Fluidsynth soundfont in DOSBox for Windows

Wulf
Hero Wannabe

Post by Wulf » Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 pm

SCIprogramming.com has it listed as a one-room demo, so I think it's safe to assume "demo confirmed".

http://sciprogramming.com/fangames.php? ... iew&id=144
Wulf
~ The Adventurer ~
Gamer Guildhall - Chief Guildmaster
gamerguildhall.com