Quest for Glory 3 Nostalgia and Dreams Rant & Rave

General discussion forum. Discuss anything you like, as well as introduce yourself.
This forum is NOT for testing your signatures.
Zachski
Hero Wannabe

Quest for Glory 3 Nostalgia and Dreams Rant & Rave

Post by Zachski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 am

Perhaps because it's the shortest of the Quest for Glory games, but most of the time, when I dream about Quest for Glory, I dream about THIS game specifically.

Finding new things hidden in the game, new screens, or hidden stuff that I didn't know existed and stumbled across by pure chance (only to realize, upon awaking, that it's simply not the case)

I've also had a couple of dreams about Quest for Glory 2 - I remember dreaming about walking *to* the ruined city, the plot of the game being entirely different, and the desert city itself being quite different too (more resembling the one from Conquests of Camelot)

Also an alternative Rasier palace scene where it involved a series of puzzles just to get through the palace itself, being akin to more along the lines of a gauntlet than a straight "go to harem/pizza rug room, deal with final obstacle, deal with Ad Avis"

...And then there was the time I dreamed about Roehm from Quest for Infamy facing off against the witch from King's Quest 5. That was a weird one.

I think I know why these two games, in particular, inspire my dreams. It's what they DON'T have, which teases my imagination. Quest for Glory 3 feels like it's still hiding something to me. After all, you can only get 500 points on a Fighter-Turned-Paladin. Quest for Glory 2 has a vast desert with mostly nothing in it. These things tease my imagination, which makes my dreams go frantic with new information.

Quest for Glory 3, though, has another reason. It's a very important game to me. When people say "DOS Nostalgia", the first thing that comes to mind is the Inn theme for the Welcome Inn, that gentle theme. I spent summer hours, sweating and playing this game. All of my other memories of DOS Nostalgia are connected to this game. You'd think it would be Quest for Glory 1, but no, that was when I was a wee little child who didn't see much difference between DOS and NES. Quest for Glory 3 was when I was old enough to recognize the difference between PC gaming and Console gaming, and the sort of "DOS Culture" that those games had then. It was when an entire world of Shareware opened up to me, and at one point we got Quest for Glory 3. And the Welcome Inn music reminds me of the music of games I don't even remember the names of anymore.

...Ahem, sorry. I just had to wax nostalgic for a little bit. Actually, while this post does talk like I'm posting in the Quest for Glory 3 forum, I'm just gonna move this over to Rants & Raves because it kinda expanded beyond that, and I'm too tired to change the body of the post.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;)
How to use a Fluidsynth soundfont in DOSBox for Windows

Elsa Von Spielburg
Site Admin

Re: Quest for Glory 3 Nostalgia and Dreams Rant & Rave

Post by Elsa Von Spielburg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 am

*Follows her usual *cough*lazy*cough* strategy and thinks to herself "The post is longer than 5 lines, I will read it later..." ;)

*cough* ....and a few hours later.... ;)

Well, I did mention this before in the old forums, many years ago... ;) The first Quest for Glory I played on my Pentium 1 (my very first computer!), is Quest for Glory 3! (Y) And, it was the one that made me love the Hero and the Quest for Glory games in the first place! :D It also inspired me - well gave me an extra reason to pay attention to the English language and learn more things! :D With that said, when the Quest for Glory Collection series was released and reached our island/country of Cyprus, I bought it, and Quest for Glory V, and happily went to play the entire game series! :D

Now, as far as dreams go... well I don't remember dreaming of any of the Quest for Glory games. I did have a few World of Warcraft dreams though! ;)

But yeah, I find it natural for a person that plays and loves computer games to have dreams related to them. It just shows that they take a part of your subconscious and perhaps when you miss playing them, or somehow feel like you have some questions that need to be answered, a dream comes to *get you started* when you're not busy thinking of the regular life-related problems of each day. :)

With that said, I did enjoy my keyboard's sweet and soft buttons while writing this post! :D ;)
My name is Elsa Von Spielburg and I am a Paladin. A.K.A. Mrs McLaren.
What kind of Hero Are You?
http://www.theschoolforheroes.com

Blake00
Stable Kid

Post by Blake00 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25 am

I've had dreams about QFG3 as well. I remember being in the city of Tarna looking out over the tundra and jungle at night. Everyone is looking afraid as there are red stormy clouds and lightning far in the distance presumably over the lost sister city where the demon is. I guess my mind took some influence from LOTR - Return of the King when Gandalf & Pippin stood on a balcony in the white city and looked out at the stormy ash clouds over Suarons evil lands and used that to enhance the QFG3 story haha.

Also had dreams that combine QFG4 with the film Sleepy Hollow. It's like my subconscious mind experiences parts of the QFG story and world but makes them look photo realistic using elements from fantasy films I love lol.

I've always felt QFG3 was very underrated. Yes it was quick but it had a great story and some of my favourite locations and songs in the entire series. Welcome inn song always brings lost of nostalgic memories & feelings.
Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Elsa Von Spielburg
Site Admin

Post by Elsa Von Spielburg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Indeed! (Y) I love the QFG 3 locations! Especially Tarna and Simbani village! :D (Y)

Zachski
Hero Wannabe

Post by Zachski » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:19 pm

I think another thing that makes QFG3 stand out is that it's based off of African folklore and mythology - something which is actually rarely ever touched in gaming or fiction outside of Egypt (which is also featured, but not as heavily as it usually is)

In fact I can't think of a single video game besides QFG3 that's taken place in this setting - not saying one doesn't exist, but I just haven't heard of it before, or I've forgotten about it.

Also, despite the general short feeling of the game, ironically, I think the strongest point of the game is the characters. Every character is interesting. We get to see various aspects of Rakeesh and Kreesha, the government of Tarna itself is practically a character unto itself, each shopkeeper has a personality, a life, and even though you have no reason to do so, you learn more about most of them in each visit. (The exceptions are the leatherworker, the beadmaker, the drummer, and the clothes seller - either because they're too professional to do small talk or they just don't speak your language).

Heck, most of my favorite characters are featured in this game, and they're probably my favorite BECAUSE of this game.

I opened the game in SCI Viewer to look through it a bit, but I was surprised to find that the vast majority of text in the game just isn't accessible through it. The only text available was the Hero's discussions with Rakeesh and Kreesha.

I was a little disappointed to find no unused screens of any sort though. Ah well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;)

Elsa Von Spielburg
Site Admin

Post by Elsa Von Spielburg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm

(Y) Rakeesh and Uhura and Kreesha are definitely awesome and you learn a lot about them here, since it's their homeland too! :)

Like I said, this was the first Quest for Glory game I played, and it's definitely one of my most favorite. Well it's second, right after Quest for Glory V :D

I think the fact that it made me love the Hero and some of the characters appearing in the rest of the game series says it all! (Y)

By the way, I remember someone posted about some beautiful QFG3 art/pictures showing inside the SCI Viewer, which are not viewable in the game. I seem to remember one with the characters participating in the final scene of the game? :)

Zachski
Hero Wannabe

Post by Zachski » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:40 pm

That one is actually in Quest for Glory 4.

One thing I remember about it is that, in the picture, they got which leg of Rakeesh's was injured wrong.

Elsa Von Spielburg
Site Admin

Post by Elsa Von Spielburg » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 pm

Ah! Ok! :) (Y)

Zachski
Hero Wannabe

Post by Zachski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:08 am

Blake00 wrote:I've had dreams about QFG3 as well. I remember being in the city of Tarna looking out over the tundra and jungle at night. Everyone is looking afraid as there are red stormy clouds and lightning far in the distance presumably over the lost sister city where the demon is. I guess my mind took some influence from LOTR - Return of the King when Gandalf & Pippin stood on a balcony in the white city and looked out at the stormy ash clouds over Suarons evil lands and used that to enhance the QFG3 story haha.

Also had dreams that combine QFG4 with the film Sleepy Hollow. It's like my subconscious mind experiences parts of the QFG story and world but makes them look photo realistic using elements from fantasy films I love lol.

I've always felt QFG3 was very underrated. Yes it was quick but it had a great story and some of my favourite locations and songs in the entire series. Welcome inn song always brings lost of nostalgic memories & feelings.
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to you D: That sounds awesome, dreaming that you're in the game world itself.

For some reason, all of my dreams about Quest for Glory just have me playing the games (or some arcane version of the games that sometimes only superficially resembles the original)